Wednesday, September 10, 2008

Milestone

I feel that I have reached a milestone in life. And it’s one that I never really thought about until I reached it. I am finally at a point where I can work from home. This is a big step. It means that not only am I responsible enough to actually work from home instead of vegging on the couch, but my bosses see me as mature and responsible enough to be able to work at home.


The first day I worked from home a few weeks ago, I honestly had no idea how it would go. I had a big report to write and was hoping I would be able to concentrate on it amongst the boxes and chaos that my house was in as I prepared for the move. I was pleasantly surprised that I got an astonishing amount of work done and the time flew by. The only problems were that 1) around 3 or 4, I got really stir crazy and felt the need to seek human interaction and 2) I was uber-responsive to every e-mail I received so that folks back at the office would know that I was working hard and not slacking off.

So yesterday morning when I woke up feeling sicker than I’ve felt in years (I’ll spare you the details), I spent an hour hitting the snooze button, telling myself that if I didn’t dry my hair I could hit snooze two more times (you know the game), before it occurred to me that I didn’t have to figure out what to wear, I didn’t have to put on makeup, I didn’t even have to get out of my PJ’s. I’ve never been one to call in sick at work. I think I’ve only done it twice. So it was really nice to realize I could go back to sleep until 9, and work from the comfort of my own home.

The only problem with working from home while you’re sick is resisting the temptation (and need) to take a nap.

No comments: