Friday, December 12, 2008

Work, Friends, and Work Friends

One of my former co-workers from LA once told me that her co-workers were just co-workers, that she had her own friends, thank you, and didn't need any more. I've been thinking about that statement periodically since I started this job. It's true that I spend more time with my co-workers than with friends or family and I do have, I like to think, quite a few work friends.

At some point, though, I wonder how many of them are truly friends and how many are just work friends. How many will I keep in touch with after I, or they, or both, leave this office for a different job or to start a family? There are certainly a few people who I would put in each category and some that I couldn't even begin to guess about.

1 comment:

Aaron said...

Well, you're not at work today. So here I am -- checking in to see what you're thinking about. Does that constitute friendship outside of the workplace???

Happy Holidays, Mousie!